The Tiber is a WW 1-2 class river with a couple of WW 3 class passages, according to the water level; portage is generally possible.
DAILY ORGANIZATION FOR THE WATER DESCENT
Be at the starting point at 8:00 (or at the during the briefing given time), prepare all your stuff, dress as if you need to be ready to put in the water. Leave your board and equipment there and drive (alone: no passengers) to the arrival point. Park and catch the bus that will bring you to the starting point. The bus will leave at 10:00 (or at the during the briefing given time) with those who are ready! Bear in mind that you cannot leave anything (e.g. pump) at the starting point after you put in the water.
GENERAL RULES AND ADVICE FOR PADDLERS
The TiberTour is open to all paddlers with experience and equipment suited to river white water up to class 1/2/3, according to the different daily stages. For all daily stages indicated as WW 1-2:
- We recommend PE boats and inflatable boards; epoxy boats/boards are not suitable
- For sup, we recommend multiple short and flexible fins, as the collision with rocks is frequent in the first four stages
- We recommend boats/boards be fitted with front and rear handles.
Compulsory Equipment for sup: All stand up paddlers must wear:
- a helmet suitable for water sports
- a PFD (life jacket) suitable for paddle sports
- sturdy neoprene river sport shoes
- overall neoprene suit
- coil leash, if wished. Please note: on 1 May in Rome, due to crowding in water, leash is NOT allowed!
A list of suggested clothing and equipment (in Italian) can be found here.
The descent of the river is carried out in groups and will be led by experienced paddlers: kayakers appointed by the organization as “head” will lead the group(s) and should never be overtaken, nor trail behind the “tail“. Participants must follow directions and the timetable set by the organization and the guides in the morning and evening meetings or during the descent.
WARNING: the descent of the river is at your sole responsibility; the organization cannot provide a prompt service and safety in the water as it is unable to follow a large number of participants on such a lengthy descent; participants are asked to follow the directions given by this regulation and those given during the event.
Rules of good conduct
- Communicate to the nearest experts the onset of problems, be they physical or related to equipment
- Respect the advice of the more experienced and decisions of the guides
- Never overtake the trailblazer
- Where required, follow the trajectory, pass in single file at a safe distance of at least 20 metres; if the orders or signals of the guides are not clear or understood, do not make the move until you understand what you need to do
- Do not intervene in the recovery from the water of a paddler if you are not able to do it
- In case of a transhipment, wait your turn, do not crowd and do not take independent initiatives
- When ashore along the banks, put the paddle on the board
TIPS FOR THE PADDLERS
Be aware that, from when you go into the water in the morning to when you disembark in the afternoon, you can rely only on what you have brought with you. So here we have…
Tips for beginners on clothing and supplies to carry aboard:.
- It can be sunny or cloudy, it can get hot or cold, it can be windy or rainy too; the conditions can vary several times during the day. We may have to wait soaked and out of the water for hours in case of emergency. It is good to carry a spare dry wool or fleece (NOT cotton!) change of clothes: socks, the “wooly undershirt of grandpa”, cap
- Keep in mind that wet cotton absorbs body heat and is harmful in the event of adverse weather conditions; wool or fleece on the other hand, even when soaked, retain part of your body heat
- Sturdy shoes protect the foot and ankle both on the ground, during embarkation and disembarkation, and in the water in case of capsizing
- Remember that you are doing physical activity, and so it is good to bring water to drink!
- Warm up before each departure, avoid getting wet right away if not properly equipped